Step 4: Know that its ok that you are who you are, where you are
Operation Have-a-Festive-Holiday is going pretty well.
I’ve nearly completed my Christmas letter which has turned into 6 pages that I ‘m not planning to send to anyone.
I had a hard time as I started my Christmas letter. I was reminded that I didn’t accomplish any of my big goals, and that my sweetest little buddy, Milosz, died this year.
I was pretty sad about my past year until two things happened:
- I cried and cried about Milosz and then I asked myself what I needed. I decided that I needed to imagine him being with me and I needed to honor him. I imagined holding him and hearing his purr and his sweet little face looking at mine. And I wrote three pages about him in my Christmas letter. My little love, Milosz.
- In the past month I’ve run into a lot of advice about accepting myself as I am right now. And this past couple of days, I’ve come across even more which I needed as a reminder. I think that I often have an undercurrent of self-criticism going on that I’m not even aware of. Facing the end of this year and comparing where I think I should be with where I am brought it out in the open in a flood of self-recrimination and regret.
It has been amazing to happen upon so much advice about accepting and loving myself all at the same time. I take it as a sign.
- Brene Brown writes that accepting yourself and all your imperfections is the only way to live a whole-hearted life.
- The Mondo Beyondo girls are joining with Brene Brown to explore the gifts of imperfection.
- In Getting Past Ok, Brodie advises completely accepting yourself where you are as a first step to any improvement.
- In my EBT conference call, my provider said that I was “splitting” by judging where I’m at in life, and said I couldn’t be anywhere else than where I’m at. Instead of judging myself for being where I’m at, she advised encouraging myself every step of the way. She said that nurturing comes before limit setting.
- Madly in Love with Me is a celebration about self-love.
- The 40 Day Inner Mean Girl Cleanse provides inspirational conversations with people who give tips on how to stop your inner mean girl from running your life, and how to switch on your inner wisdom and know that you are already enough.